Here is how you create your own hobby farm:
- Research. Before you begin anything, you always need to research.
- Plant a Garden. Next, you’ll want to use this research to plant a garden.
- Invest in Livestock. You will then want to invest in your livestock.
- Find Ways to Save Money.
How do I start a small hobby farm?
If you want to establish a hobby farm, you will need to begin by planning and setting goals. Consider what animals and crops you would like to raise. Assess your land and resources, or get an idea of what you are looking for if you want to buy a farm. Write out a one-year plan.
How many acres do you need for a hobby farm?
Most hobby farms sit on just a few acres. To provide some contrast, the average farm size in the US is 234 acres. Of all the farmed land in the US, half of it is on farms larger than 1,100 acres. Based on the amount of land you have, there are different types of hobby farms.
What is considered a hobby farm?
A hobby farm (also called a lifestyle block in New Zealand, or acreage living or rural residential in Australia) is a smallholding or small farm that is maintained without expectation of being a primary source of income.
How do I start my own farm?
If you’re interested in the topic, read their hobby farming business fact sheet.
- Step 1: Identify your niche. Even if you know exactly what type of farm you want to start, diving head first into just doing it is never a good idea.
- Step 2: Find the right land.
- Step 3: Getting financed.
- Step 4: Market and sell your products.